Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Tweet Life: Twitter for Beginners

Today I joined Twitter. That's right, I'm a tweep.

I'll be the first to admit that as a new member to the Twitterverse, it took a little while for the lingo to grow on me. I thought tweet was bad, but after a little practice I grew comfortable throwing it out in normal conversation. Then came tweep, which took a little longer, but as you can see I have now proudly declared myself one.

But it gets worse. Much worse. There are tweethearts, twitteritas and even twitterati. For anyone interested, here's a full list of all the words that now begin with tw-.

After reading a list like that, people may begin to doubt the validity of a site like twitter. It's tempting to dismiss it as just another social site being taken over by teens (tweens?) who want their own world complete with their own language.

But don't. I've recently learned that Twitter is an amazing way to stay connected with customers, find new ones and establish an ongoing interaction with people who could be beneficial to your brand, as well as stay up-to-date with what's going on in your industry. Here's a list of 10 best practices that I liked (especially #7--listen before engaging. Always a plus in a social setting).

Now go on, tweet away.

No comments:

Post a Comment