Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Keep the Content Relevant

Social media is a great way to spread information about your company or brand to the public: True.
Social media is an easy way to spread unwanted information in a very public fashion: True.

It's a fine line to walk between saying enough and saying too much, and social media outlets are littered with those who have lost their balance.

My limited experience with professional social networking has left me with few of my own words of wisdom, so I'll borrow someone elses: "Don't say anything in a blog that you wouldn't want plastered on a billboard with your face on it." -Erin Bury.

Basically, if you wouldn't say it out loud, don't say it online. I tend to gear this advice more towards professional media outlets, where its important to remember not only who you're trying to reach but who you're representing. After all, the whole world may be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment