Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Building Blocks of Blogs

Every blog has a beginning, and everyone has a beginner blog. Usually those blogs fail to receive the proper amount of TLC. But even with the tenderest of love and care, some blogs are still guaranteed to fail, because somewhere along the line, the blogger missed a step.

Just like it's guaranteed that every time I get a to-go box at a restaurant, I'm going to leave it on the table. And if I do manage to run back for it in time, I'm going to leave it in my car. And even if I get it all the way home to the refrigerator, I won't remember it's there the next day. Bottom line: The food's not getting eaten. And sometimes, blogs just don't get read.

But every once in a while there's that special one that does. The Seth Goden's, the Junta42's, those guys. Everyone knows those guys because everyone reads those guys. Why? Because they're good at what they do and know what they're talking about. They took all the right steps, they got their food into the container and safely tucked in the refrigerator, and now everyone's eating it right up.

So those may be the lucky guys, but I'd be willing to bet that even they had a beginner blog, and only by building on that beginner were they able to get where they are now. The bright side is that for those like me who have trouble completing the food-to-fridge process, there's always the hope that one day it will click, the right formula will be found and we could have our very own special blog. But it won't just appear, it takes work to make a quality product. And it takes time to make sure that product is in fact quality. 'Cause if the food's no good, no one will want to eat it the next day anyway.

With that said, I'd like you to semi-disregard my last post about the billboard. Because I don't think I would ever climb up on a billboard and tell the world that it was too complicated for me to remember to eat my food. But hey, if I did, I'm sure I'd get someone's attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment