Thursday, May 27, 2010

Need to know info if you want a job

Remember a time when there was no Google? I do. It was pretty awful. Lucky for me I didn't have to go without it through college. That would have been tragic. Trust me, I cannot say enough good things about Google. However, it can come to bite you in le derrière (it's French...Google it)!

Ever heard the term Google me? In times of boredom/curiosity I have done just that. Turns out I am pretty much off the radar, but that doesn't go for everyone. When I applied for my internship you better believe I Googled the lovely Mrs. Lorens. I wanted to know who I was talking to. Sure enough my search led me to Facebook which led me to her profile. And BINGO! I now had a face to a name.

But this is not a one way street. Companies are now utilizing search engines and social media sites to get the dirt need to know information about YOU! This can work for you or against you. Lets face it though most people are not so squeaky clean. "Surveys indicate that as many as half of hiring managers use search engines to screen job applicants, and 1 in 10 have rejected potential employees because of damaging information on the web", so says Mashable.So what can one do?

Well for starters avoid incriminating yourself...but if your already past the point of no return it's then time to do some house cleaning.

Mashable wrote an article on How To: Erase Your Online Past. These eight handy tips are gonna hopefully save you some agony.

No comments:

Post a Comment