Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Long and Short of It

I'm writing a press release.

(This isn't it.)

Having never really read a press release before, let alone attempted to write one, it was necessary to do a little digging. Naturally, I employed the help of Google. Turns out, there are a lot of links out there that want to help me write my release. But they tell me different things. Some say that it's vital to include contact information, others say that's the kiss of death. Some take full advantage of the latest technology tricks and include videos, pictures. Some keep it simple.

But there is one important similarity that I picked up on: cut the wordiness. Make it concise, to the point. Not too cutesy, not too boring. It's a rule I've heard countless times and extends to all areas of the writing spectrum--even blogs. It's also a rule that can be surprisingly hard to follow.

Here's a nice tip courtesy of Junta42: "A blog post is like a miniskirt.
It has to be short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject."

Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, miniskirt...I like it! That would have been a good one to hear in lecture.

    ReplyDelete